Call It Reading
Reading is the foundation on which a strong education is built—and there are some staggering statistics to prove it:
- Students who don’t read proficiently by third grade are four times more likely to drop out of high school.
- Students who don’t read at all by fourth grade are six times more likely to drop out of high school than proficient readers.
- As adults, non-readers are more likely to be incarcerated–75% of state inmates did not graduate from high school or have low-literacy.
- Adults with poor reading abilities are more likely to be chronically underemployed, or unemployed.
- Non-reading adults are more likely to smoke, to be obese, to have more hospitalizations, and lack the ability to follow medication instructions.
Homework Hotline's Call It Reading program is designed for children from low-income families who cannot read or read at least two grade levels behind.
Our wonderful reading teachers speak one-on-one, twice a week for 30-minutes, with each participant. Each student gains fluency, comprehension, and a love of books and reading.